Latest blog post: St Catharine's College Catharine Wheel, Summer 2011
Viewing 1-5 of 5 posts
Posted in Magazines, reports and books • 27 May 2010
Another of the night climbing series from the Cambridge indie publisher Oleander Press. The book had a vast quantity of footnotes, poems, notes and comments (in English, Latin, Greek, German...) and was an exercise in good typesetting.
I just love the cover picture - taken from The Night Climbers of Cambridge, written by my great-uncle Noël. It shows just how much of a stretch you have to make sometimes to make a foothold.
Posted in Web design • 24 May 2010
The World 100 reputation network is designed for those senior staff in World 100 universities responsible for managing reputation through communications and relationships with international stakeholders - including HE partners, government and NGO agencies, alumni, academic and scholar communities, and the media.
The website I developed for them includes RSS aggregators, a news and events system, and a members' area, including the provision of files to various members based on their levels of access.
Posted in Web design • 21 May 2010
Dr Sarah Morley Wilkins is an award-winning author and accessible information expert, who's written a series of books on Microsoft Windows for blind and partially sighted people.
Her website is a simple portfolio site, with information about Sarah and the books, and needed to be both visually attractive and accessible to people using speech, braille or screen-magnification access technologies.
Posted in Photography • 18 May 2010
Carrie and I went on our honeymoon to the Lake District, and spent a week walking, going to little pubs, and visiting the zoo.
A hawk-eyed lemur at the South Lakes Wildlife Park.
Why, what an enticing offer you make.
As good ideas go, probably not the most sensible.
An Ames Room at the Museum of Optical Illusions. Very, very strange.
Posted in Miscellaneous • 7 May 2010
Anglia Ruskin University's prospectus is generated from an XML feed - a file of structured information produced from a database.
In the past, information was manually copied from the XML file to a Word document, and then typeset - a process that took around six weeks.
I wrote a script which took the XML feed and plucked out the relevant information, then inserted it all into InDesign documents and made PDFs of them. I set it running before going to bed one evening; by the next morning it was done.